Thursday 12 September 2013

These Boots Were Made For Walking

Well, at 9 months, my son Adrian is far from walking but these little boots will sure keep his feet warm over the winter.  I wanted to knit a pair of booties for Adrian and had a hard time finding the right pattern.  I scoured the internet and found more often than not, the bootie patterns leaned to a more feminine design.  I came across Christy Hill's Boot Style Red and White Baby Booties pattern and saw the possibilities.  The design is darling.  They have a gumboot shape and the contrasting colour gives the appearance of a sole.  I am hoping that the high boot will prevent Adrian from kicking them off easily.  Fingers crossed - he's quite the Houdini!

Looking at completed project pictures on Ravelry, it seems that most knitters have used acrylic worsted yarn for this pattern.  Acrylic yarn is a sensible choice when knitting for kids as it can go in both the washer and dryer.  However, on my first run at this pattern, I tried using turquoise and white acrylic yarn from my stash and the finished bootie looked too feminine.  I think it was a combination of the bright colours and the shininess of the acrylic.  So, I tried again with Cascade Ecological - a bulkier yarn with more muted colours.  I sized up to a US 5 needle and got the results I was looking for.  The Cascade Ecological gave the booties a more rugged feel and look.  

Christy Hill's pattern is very clear and easy to follow.  It took me about 2 hours in front of the tv to knit each boot.  Seaming and tucking in the ends seemed to take just as long (not my favourite task when it comes to knitting :)  This pattern is a keeper and I will certainly be knitting more of these beauties for gifts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment