Friday 6 September 2013

Mastering Color Knitting

Years ago, when I picked up a copy of Stitch 'n Bitch Nation, I discovered that I love reading about knitting techniques.  It was in that introductory chapter that I discovered how to adjust sizing by using simple math.  I knew high school algebra would come in handy one day!  Another introductory chapter that comes to mind is Stephanie Jepel's Fitted Knits.  That chapter explained in simple terms how to customize a pattern for yourself.  That blew my mind away.  I have a long torso and most knit sweaters fall short on me.  After reading Jepel's chapter, I realized that I can make virtually any sweater pattern fit for my body with some simple alterations. I love reading about techniques because sometimes simple adjustments can make incredible improvements.

Nowadays, I often go to my local public library and sign out a pile of knitting books at a time.  Sometimes I find an interesting pattern, but I am more interested in reading about technique.  One gem that I found yesterday was Mastering Color Knitting by Melissa Leapman.


I am by no means an expert on colour knitting.  I just really enjoy playing with colours.  But I still have some issues with inconsistent tension which leads to puckering.  Since I am currently working on a My Favourite Things Infinity Scarf, I thought it would be prudent to read about stranded color knitting. 

I've only read a third of the book so far but it seems like a fantastic resource.  I may have to purchase this one for my personal library.  There is a very interesting section about understanding how a colour wheel works to get desired effects with colour combinations.  I found that fascinating.

More specifically related to stranded knitting, she describes three ways to hold yarn so that tension is consistent.  I have been just dropping the non-working yarn and picking it up when needed.  Well, not anymore!  I am now trying to hold one colour in each hand.  I admit that it feels awkward but I'm going to stick with it for now to see how it goes.  I selected this method because Leapman says, "By holding each yarn in a different hand, you ensure that the yarns never get twisted together."  Ah, yes please!

Mastering Color Knitting includes many Fair Isle charts which will come in handy as I continue to pick designs for my scarf.  I am looking forward to reading the chapters on intarsia and double knitting.  I have tried intarsia once before and it ended up being an incomplete tangled mess.  Prior to reading this book, I had never heard of double knitting but I'm all about learning how to create a reversible swatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment