Tuesday 17 September 2013

Finally, My Own Personalized Gift Tags

For years, I have wanted to have my own personalized knitting labels.  They are available on-line from the U.S., but because I live in Canada, they tend to be very expensive, especially once you factor in shipping and customs.  More generic labels are available at my local crafting store but I really wanted something with my name on them.

Recently, I searched Etsy and I found the perfect alternative – a personalized knitting stamp. I ordered mine through Modern Art Stamps on Etsy.  For $10, they will customize a rubber stamp.   Naturally, I chose a ball of yarn with knitting needles for the graphic and added my own text.  Please note, for $10, Modern Art Stamps only sells the rubber part of the stamp.  I mounted my stamp on a clear acrylic block (since I like to see how my stamp is aligned on paper before stamping), although it could just as easily be glued onto a piece of wood.

Now when I give a gift, I can personalize a card with a picture of the finished product and washing instructions.  My first personalized tag was for a Bandana Cowl that I knit using Cascade Ecological wool in a washed out blue.  (Yes, I’m still trying to work through my stash of yarn – but I promise, it is getting smaller!).  It was a very quick project for a cute and functional accessory.  It is the ultimate pattern for a last minute gift (I finished it in two sittings while watching t.v. in the evening).  The bandana cowl is the perfect accessory for spring or fall when you’re just not sure if you need a scarf while you’re on the go.  It’s small enough to scrunch up into a deep pocket, yet warm enough to cut the breeze when out for a walk.  I found the pattern on purlbee.com which is my new favourite website for knitting and sewing patterns.  Their ideas are fashion forward and beautiful.  Best of all, the patterns are listed for free.  So many new ideas!  What to knit next?

No comments:

Post a Comment