Wednesday 19 August 2015

Knitting for a Cause

How is it already the 19th of August?  A couple weeks ago, I volunteered to knit some door prize donations for Victoria Zumba Fitness' annual Cops for Cancer fundraiser.  In my mind, I had all the time in the world and then it dawned on me last week that I had to start knitting, and FAST!

I'm proud to say that I managed to donate three items: Gina's Brioche Cowl (Purl Bee), Julie Tarsha's Thermal Boot Cuffs (Simply Notable), and a machine knit variation of Xandy Peter's Color Theory Cowl.


I made the boot cuffs and color theory cowl last week.  Both were fast knits.  The brioche cowl, however, was knit almost two years ago.  I was fascinated by two colour brioche knitting and had to give it a try.  I ended up making two and gifted one to my friend Karina.  I honestly forgot about the second cowl and only rediscovered it two weeks ago when I was doing a deep clean of our closets.  So it was meant to be! I hope the lucky winners enjoy using the items.

I am really pleased with my new Mason Row self-inking knitting stamp. My sister found a Groupon deal and we both ended up ordering 3-in-1 stamps.  I ordered a plate for knitting, one for my home address, and one for my work.  All three designs have an artsy twist to them.  I think they are a stylish upgrade to my previous stamp (which was more cute than stylish).

So what to knit next? Well I stocked up at Michaels' last week, although I didn't get the discount that I went for.  It's a long story....  Short version: I made the mistake of going to Michaels' with my 2 and 5 year old.  After an exhausting 20 minutes of chasing them around the store and repeatedly telling them, "Don't touch that!" we finally got back to the car.  I was literally sweating and angry at the kids.  It wasn't until they were strapped into their car seats when I noticed that I had only received a 15% discount instead of 30%.  Arghhh....  I couldn't bear the thought of going back inside with the boys and it was too hot to leave them in the car for a few minutes.  So, we drove away. 

So having knit the boot cuffs, I'm thinking I want to make leg warmers.  Or fingerless opera length gloves.  It's time to design!

No comments:

Post a Comment