Saturday 8 August 2015

December Stripes - Time to Start Christmas Projects

This summer, we've experienced an exceptionally hot summer.   Victoria (the city in which I live) is normally fairly mild in the summer and rarely sees temperatures in the high 20s low 30s. But this summer, the sun has been relentless. This heat has made it difficult for me to plan out Christmas knitting projects but now that it is August, it is time.

Even more motivation, the Michaels flyer this week is offering a 30% coupon on an entire purchase for all regular priced items. I've been waiting for this coupon and it is finally here. 

One of the projects on my long list is Elinor Brown's December Stripes hat (published in Exercise Before Knitting).  I made one for my nephew James (pictured above) two years ago and it was his favourite.  He has long outgrown it, but I'm planning to make James and his younger brother, matching hats this year.


The pattern is a phenomenal stash buster and I used left-over bits and pieces of worsted weight yarn.  Knit in the round, what makes this pattern particularly special is the braided edge. It is a sophisticated change from a garter border or a rolled stockinette border.

Although it's hard to think about cozy hats and scarves this time of year as we are all donning tank tops and shorts, these sweet hats will definitely be a welcome staple once the weather changes.

Now off to make my Christmas projects list and make a trip to Michaels!

No comments:

Post a Comment