Friday 30 August 2013

Perfectionism: a blessing and a curse

Have I mentioned that I'm a perfectionist?  I can't stand good enough.  This applies to all aspects of my life - school, work, and especially crafting.  With knitting, I am constantly unravelling and reworking rows - changing needle sizes, yarns (yes, plural), or even re-knitting entire pieces with alterations to make them better.  It is time consuming, not to mention curse inducing.

I mainly knit at night in front of the t.v. and my husband has learned that it is best not to ask if he hears a prolonged angry groan or an emphatic "Ai yah!".  When my Asian heritage starts to bubble over, he knows that it's time to duck and cover.

Fortunately for me, he totally gets it.  Doug, a woodworker, is meticulous with his craft.  He has created beautiful furniture for our home and certain flaws, which are invisible to the untrained eye, still bother him. I suppose errors in woodworking are more permanent and costly to change or redo. 

So, yesterday, I finished Vickie's cowl (Color Theory Cowl - by Xandy Peters) and I've already started thinking about ways to improve it.  It's not that there's anything really wrong with it, it's just that the edging isn't quite the way I want it and the yarn I used isn't all that soft.  I'm not satisfied with the colours either.  Bottom line, it looks a bit amateurish and I'm not overly thrilled about it.  I think that I can make it better and that's what I am going to do.  

I've already started casting on a new and improved version: Color Theory Cowl 2.0    





No comments:

Post a Comment