Tuesday 27 August 2013

Knitted Baby Hat with Earflaps: My Signature Gift

Two of my favourite baby hat patterns come from Zoe Mellor’s Adorable Knits for Tiny Tots.  The hats truly are adorable and have become one of my signature baby shower gifts.  One of the patterns has cables and the other is striped.  I have used a number of different double knit yarns for the hats.  

When my son Mackenzie 4 months old, I used Debbie Bliss’ washable Baby Cashmerino in the round on Addi Turbo US 5 circular needles.  The hat was silky soft and did not irritate his skin in any way.  Prior to Mackenzie's hat, I often used Wool Gatto. The  Wool Gatto knit up well but had less stretch than Baby Cashmerino.  However, from what I understand, Wool Gatto has been discontinued - what a shame.

I have also made these hats using Sirdar Snuggly.  The acrylic Sirdar Snuggly is surprisingly soft and knits up well.  I love that it does not squeak on my needles like other acrylics.  Not only is it affordable, but II love using Sirdar Snuggly for baby projects because it is so easy to care for.  If it accidentally ends up in the dryer, no problem!  God forbid if a wool gift ends up accidentally felted.

For Christmas of 2010, I whipped up the striped ear flap hat in red, green and white Sirdar Snuggly.  It was a hit!  I have kept that hat and plan to use it for Christmas pictures with my second-born son, Adrian (who will be a year old in December).  Now, I just need to find a cute Christmas hat pattern for Mackenzie, who is now 3!  It's August, I have time!

No comments:

Post a Comment